Re: pure function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113711] Re: pure function
  • From: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 05:39:42 -0500 (EST)

Stephan,

Yes, sure, use With instead of Module:

In[2]:= getFunc:=With[{a=2},Function[{x},a*x]]

In[3]:= f=getFunc

Out[3]= Function[{x$},2 x$]

So, by using Module, you can create a closure whose state (variable <a>
in this case) comes from surrounding context but can be modified by it
at a later time. Using With gets you a textual substitution of a value that
a given expression had, at the moment when With was invoked.

You can also accomplish your goal  somewhat differently, by redefining your
getFunc:

In[4]:=
Clear[getFunc];
getFunc[y_] := Function[{x}, y*x]

In[6]:= getFunc[2]

Out[6]= Function[{x$}, 2 x$]

The semantics of parameter-passing in Mathematica is somewhat similar to
With:
parameters are textually substituted to the body before the body starts to
evaluate.
There are a few subtle differences (related to name collision resolution in
nested
scoping constructs), but they do not show up in this particular case.

Regards,
Leonid