A list based table join?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112959] A list based table join?
  • From: Leo Ditolaghi <leoditolaghi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 03:39:04 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

(noob Mathematica question:)

If I have two lists, how do I determine the indices at which the 1st list
elements are matched by the elements of the second, and then use these
matching indices to extract corresponding columns in the 1st list (sort of a
simulated database join)? I.e.,

x = {{"hello", 27},
{"bye", 30},
{"hello", 54},
{"seeya", 100},

y = {"hello", "hi"}

where x is the source table, and y is the select criteria (so to speak.)

I wish to produce z, where y defines which elements of x to extract:

z = {27,54,9}

I know this should be easy and elegant, but I am going in circles
with list functions.

Thanks in advance,

Leo