Re: What is the ESC sequence for the "Matching Double Brakets"? From

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113028] Re: What is the ESC sequence for the "Matching Double Brakets"? From
  • From: Peter Breitfeld <phbrf at t-online.de>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 05:28:48 -0400 (EDT)

"Nasser M. Abbasi" wrote:

> Mathematica Experts;
>
> What is the ESC key stroke combination to enter the "Matching double
> brackets" into my notebook?
>
> I can't find the ESC sequence for this. Are these documented somewhere?
>
> I remember that before when one moved the mouse over one of those
> things, then the ESC sequence would show up at he bottom of the palette.
>
> (Just noticed that some do show the ESC sequence in the ballon help that
> comes up when the mouse is over them, but some do not. The ballon help
> only shows the name,  but not the ESC sequence as well. Strange).
>
> thanks
> --Nasser

The escape sequences are esc[[esc  and esc]]esc. But you I prefer to
add a keystroke for that. I use "Ctrl <" to produce the opening and
closing double bracket and to position the cursor between the brackets.

To do that, open the Mathematica file KeyEventTranslations.tr in an
editor and add this code:

  Item[KeyEvent["<",Modifiers->{Control}],
      FrontEndExecute[{FrontEnd`NotebookWrite[FrontEnd`SelectedNotebook[],
        "\[LeftDoubleBracket]\[RightDoubleBracket]",After],
              FrontEndToken["MovePrevious"]}]]

WARNING: Be careful when changing this file. Make a copy of it before
altering. If you made an error (e.g. missing a comma) Mathematica will
not start.

// Peter
Peter Breitfeld, Bad Saulgau, Germany -- http://www.pBreitfeld.de