Re: Importing data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113450] Re: Importing data
  • From: "Hans Michel" <hmichel at cox.net>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 06:28:14 -0400 (EDT)

David

fileToProcessPath = "your path here";
processedFile = {};

 processingFileToStream = StringToStream[Import[fileToProcessPath]];

 Skip[processingFileToStream, Record, 1]; (* Do this if there is a header
row to skip, or header area to skip add to the line number *)

 While[(eachLine = Read[processingFileToStream, String]) != "EndOfFile",
  AppendTo[
   processedFile, {StringTake[eachLine, {1, 10}],
    StringTake[eachLine, {10, 20}], StringTake[eachLine, {20, 30}],
    StringTake[eachLine, {30, 40}], StringTake[eachLine, {40, 50}]}]
  ];

 Close[processingFileToStream];

processedFile

Further define your StringTake(s) to fit the schema of you text file.

I like this process because you may use it as a filter to select rows you
want or you can modify the code to insert each row into a (SQL-like)
database. (One can do that external to Mathematica). You may also evaluate
to expression of convert to mathematica formats as you process each line,
for example convert a datetime field to a DateList[]. Each conversion adds
to the time.

I don't like the AppendTo method of building up a list but it is what it is.

Hans