How to convert Inset graphics to absolute coords?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113476] How to convert Inset graphics to absolute coords?
  • From: kj <no.email at please.post>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 04:37:59 -0400 (EDT)

I have a complicated Graphic object x, generated through nested
calls to GraphicsGrid.  Hence x contains Inset graphics within
Inset graphics.

Now I need to automatically edit this Graphics object to add various
labels to it.  (If I add the labels before the calls to GraphicsGrid
the relative sizes of the objects in the grid gets screwed up.)
But in order to correctly position these labels I need to be able
to extract absolute coordinates from the Graphics object x.  The
obstacle, of course, is that almost everything inside x is expressed
as coordinates relative to Inset objects.  Is there a simple way
to convert this representation to an "absolute" representation?
(By this I mean the representation one would need to use to describe
x if Inset were not available.)  I'm hoping to find the "moral
equivalent" of a hypothetical AbsoluteForm function.

BTW, I know that I could attempt to write my own conversion function,
but I'm trying to avoid this if at all possible; GridGraphics and
Inset are each too much of a black box (in fact, all of Mathematica
is) to attempt this operation conversion function lightly.

TIA!

~kj