Adding labels to a GraphicsGrid object

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113500] Adding labels to a GraphicsGrid object
  • From: kj <no.email at please.post>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 02:08:59 -0500 (EST)

As I described in an earlier post, I am trying to add labels to a
complex GraphicsGrid object.

This object is in fact a GraphicsRow of GraphicsGrid objects.

I need to add various labels on each side of the overall graphic.
These labels must line up with various elements of the overall
graphic.  Many of these labels are associated with closely-spaced
objects, therefore they have to be placed within tight tolerances.
Also, I need to generate many figures like this one, so manual
adjustment of the label positions is out of the question.

I've tried many ways to do this, but they have all failed.  My most
successful attempt so far used heuristics to determine the positions
of the desired labels.  To do this my code extracted the centers
of the elements in the various grids, and performed the necessary
scaling and translations of these points to obtain their coordinates
in the overall graphic (which I call "global" coordinates).

The computed global coordinates are off.  The problem (I think)
rests with the computed scaling factor, for converting the coordinates
local to each sub-figure to the global coordinates of the entire
array.  I have not found a way to compute this factor with sufficient
accuracy.  I can tell you what doesn't work: taking the ratio of
the 4th parameter of the Inset objects generated by GraphicsGrid
to the PlotRange of the inset image.  The reason for this is that
area corresponding to this PlotRange is substantially smaller (to
an unpredictable degree) than the area corresponding to the 4th
parameter to Inset.

If anyone can tell me how I can compute the exact scaling factor
for converting from the local coordinates of the arrayed subfigures
to the global coordinates of the entire composite figure I'd greatly
appreciate it!

TIA!

~kj