A slow start

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112289] A slow start
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <alexei.boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 00:57:21 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Community,

Since recently my Mathematica (version 7.0.1.0 under Win XP) starts
extremely slowly. I am aware of the fact  that the first operation takes
Mathematica somewhat more time than others. In my case however, it takes
much-much longer. Now I am waiting already more than 10 minutes to make
Mathematica calculate the very first operation, which is now 1+1. This
is definitely more than the first operation typically took previously.

If during the evaluation of this first operation I break the
calculation, and then start it again, the first operation takes
approximately same long time (around 10 to 15 min). It is independent of
how I do it: by AbortEvaluation followed by closing Mathematica, or just
by a direct closing Mathematica.

After the first operation has been executed, all others run as usually,
that is fast. If after the first operation has been executed to the end
I switch Mathematica off and then start it once more, the first
operation in the new session will be done fast.

Have you met such a behavior? What can I do against it?

Best regards, Alexei

--
Alexei Boulbitch, Dr. habil.
Senior Scientist

IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 CONTERN
Luxembourg

Tel: +352 2454 2566
Fax: +352 2454 3566
Mobile: +49 (0) 151 52 40 66 44

e-mail: alexei.boulbitch at iee.lu

www.iee.lu

--

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or
otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5429 (20100906) __________

http://www.eset.com