Re: A slow start

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112340] Re: A slow start
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 04:47:56 -0400 (EDT)

On 08/09/10 05:57, Alexei Boulbitch wrote:
> Dear Community,
>
> Since recently my Mathematica (version 7.0.1.0 under Win XP) starts
> extremely slowly. I am aware of the fact  that the first operation takes
> Mathematica somewhat more time than others. In my case however, it takes
> much-much longer. Now I am waiting already more than 10 minutes to make
> Mathematica calculate the very first operation, which is now 1+1. This
> is definitely more than the first operation typically took previously.
>
> If during the evaluation of this first operation I break the
> calculation, and then start it again, the first operation takes
> approximately same long time (around 10 to 15 min). It is independent of
> how I do it: by AbortEvaluation followed by closing Mathematica, or just
> by a direct closing Mathematica.
>
> After the first operation has been executed, all others run as usually,
> that is fast. If after the first operation has been executed to the end
> I switch Mathematica off and then start it once more, the first
> operation in the new session will be done fast.
>
> Have you met such a behavior? What can I do against it?
>
> Best regards, Alexei

This sounds really abnormal. How much memory do you have on the machine?
Also, have you tried looking the task manager to see what is actually
going on over those 15 mins - e.g. it might be the kernel, or java or
the FE.

Another possibility might be to un-install Mathematica and re-install!

David Bailey

http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk