launching of remote parallel kernels hangs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112493] launching of remote parallel kernels hangs
  • From: to <todummy at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 06:42:12 -0400 (EDT)

I am in need of some expert help here...

I want to use the cores on two linux machines for parallel computing.
Since I don't have the lightweight grid manager, I had to set the
remote connections up myself using the 'remote kernels' tab  in the
Parallel preference pane. After allowing passwordless ssh on the
remote machines, this seems to work... at least sometimes....

When I use the LaunchKernels[RemoteMachine["myremotemachine.com"]
command, it starts up a kernel on the remote machine as it should.
When I evaluate something, I see that the CPU time of one of the cores
on that machine goes up.  So far, so good.  However, If I launch more
kernels, either by repeating the same command or by specifying the
number of kernels, it sometimes seems to hangs (My front-end is on a
Mac, so I get the spinning disc all the time). Sometimes, I manage to
launch 2 or 3 extra kernels before it hangs, other times it will
already hang when trying to launch the second kernel.  When I do
manage to launch multiple kernels on my 8-core machine, they are all
used when executing e.g. a ParallelTable command.

Any ideas what could be going wrong.

Thx,

Peter