should Positive[ complexNumber ] return undefined instead of False?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112582] should Positive[ complexNumber ] return undefined instead of False?
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 02:04:18 -0400 (EDT)

math experts:

x = 3*I;
Positive[x]

Out[59]= False

Should this be undefined or unevaluated?

If it is False, when there must be an case when it is True, right? but
there is not such case, positive and negative are not defined on the
complex numbers, or Am I missing something?

I know the above works as documented:

"Positive[x] gives False if x is manifestly a negative numerical
quantity, a complex numerical quantity, or zero. Otherwise, it remains
unevaluated"

So, my question is just wanting to know why when Mathematica was
designed, the complexes were not added to the case where they remains
unevaluated in this case?

--Nasser