Re: WebMathematica and SVG graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117925] Re: WebMathematica and SVG graphics
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 06:32:08 -0400 (EDT)

Am 01.04.2011 09:30, schrieb Eduardo:
> Hi,
>
> I have some Mathematica plots with interactive features like Tooltip
> and Mouseover which I'm trying to reproduce in a web environment using
> WebMathematica. From the documentation it is not clear how far one can
> go. Exporting a ListPlot with Mouseover effects drops the interactive
> component when it is rendered as a GIF or SVG.
>
> One approach I am trying is to write the plot as SVG and then use
> Mathematicas XML capabilities to insert the Mouseover in the SVG.
> Apparently in version 5.0 there was a function
> XML`SVG`GraphicsToSymbolicSVG which returned the SVG code, but in 8.0
> I can only find Export[] in SVG format. So my questions are:
>
> 1) Is there a better way to do this, getting interactive plot features
> like Mouseover into a web graphics format?
> 2) If SVG is the way to go, is there a package in 8.0 that can help
> (like XML`SVG` in 5.0)
> 3) If not, is there a way to Export the SVG to an in memory variable
> for further processing, rather than to a file?
>
> Any pointers a greatly appreciated.

Why do you think that XML`SVG`GraphicsToSymbolicSVG does not work
anymore? I just tried it (using the full name with all contexts and
without loading any package) with 8.0.1 on Windows and it worked alright:

XML`SVG`GraphicsToSymbolicSVG[Plot[x^4, {x, 0, 1}]]

Alternatively, you could also use something like this, which would not
rely on undocumented features:

ImportString[ExportString[Plot[x^4, {x, 0, 1}], "SVG"], "XML"]

I have no suggestions for other formats or techniques to create web
grahpics formats, but it might be worthwhile to explore since I found
the above to be relatively slow even for simple plots...

hth,

albert