Re: Mathematica 8.01 and the CDF plug-in

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117924] Re: Mathematica 8.01 and the CDF plug-in
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 06:31:57 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> Has any one succeeded in producing working examples of files in the new
> Computable Document Format? By "working examples" I mean ones that can
> be opened and whose dynamic content can be used by someone who does not
> posses Mathematica but only a CDF browser plugin.

Yes, it has some limitations but for simple cases seems to work
straightforward: if I put this into a Mathematica notebook:

Manipulate[Plot[x^n, {x, 0, 1}], {n, 1, 10}]

evaluate it and then "Save As" -> CDF I can open the resulting file with
the CDF-Player. After opening it the player shows a warning about unsave
content and I have to click a button "Enable Dynamics" and after that I
can play with the Manipulate. What did you try and what did not work?

> I have tried saving notebooks in the CDF format but when I try to open
> them with the "Wolfram" plugin, I see that it's always "loading" but
> never gets anywhere. When I open such a file with Mathematica,
> everything works fine.

Maybe you should try first to open the files within the standalone
CDF-Player (not within the plugin). The plugin seems to have some
further restrictions compared to the standalone CDF-Player, e.g. a
simple MessageDialog did not work in the plugin for me. For simple cases
that probably shouldn't make a difference though. Also if you have
Mathematica and the Player installed I think the plugin will by default
use Mathematica, not the Player, so in that case you are testing the
plugin+Mathematica, not the plugin+Player.

> Have I misunderstood how this new format is supposed to work?

Hard to say if 1) we don't know what your understanding of it is, and 2)
the format is not officialy released (http://www.wolfram.com/cdf/) :-)

hth,

albert