Cataloging apps for Finder files? (Mathematica notebooks especially)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120907] Cataloging apps for Finder files? (Mathematica notebooks especially)
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 20:20:31 -0400 (EDT)

Can anyone suggest a Mac OS X cataloging app that can easily create
multiple catalogs of selected Finder files ("FFiles" from here on) and
assist in their management -- with specific reference to catloging
Mathematica .nb notebook files distributed here and there on a Mac HD?

By "catalogs" I mean separate, named document files (or database
files, if you wish), which can be opened and edited by this cataloging
app, and each of which contains lists of selected FFiles and data
about these FFiles as entries.

By "FFile management* I mean the ability to do tasks like:

*  Add additional FFiles as entries in any catalog (preferably by drag
and drop).

*  Add supplemental info about each entry in the catalog (and
preferably have this info be added as metadata to the FFile itself).

*  Do usual sorting tasks within each catalog, on multiple fields
within the entries.

*  Build and export or print selected lists of the FFile entries in
the catalog.

*  Jump directly from an entry in the catalog itself to the FFile
associated with it ("Find in Finder"), or Open that FFile in its own
app.

Plus other useful tasks, like rename (and batch rename) FFiles, or
Move or Copy associated FFiles, directly within the catalog; find
duplicates or missing entries; and so on.

Existing cataloging apps I know about that can do some of these tasks:

*  iView Media Pro or PhaseOne Media Pro:  Does a superb job of all of
these management tasks; can actually be used for .nb files also, but
really designed mostly for image files.

*  EndNote: Really a bibliographic database, doesn't do most of the
above -- but if you have a PDF FFile of a cataloged article on your
HD, an associated catalog entry has a field that can you open that PDF
directly.

Existing cataloging apps I know about but am not interested in:

*  Bento [doesn't create separate catalog document files];

*  Filemaker Pro:  I don't believe it can do most of the management
tasks listed above (???).

*  Excel, Numbers, or other spreadsheets [often used as cataloging
apps, but not designed for this task, and lousy at it].

Any suggestions appreciated.