Re: lattice-Boltzmann method for 2D cfd

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120909] Re: lattice-Boltzmann method for 2D cfd
  • From: Iván Pulido Sanchez <ijpulido.s at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 20:20:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 7:13 AM, Fonseca <public at fonseca.info> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'll need to simulate transient flow of free surface water on a
> prismatic channel.
>
> I'm looking for models on both 1D and 2D. There are a lot of free and
> commercial software available that do exactly what I want: the time
> simulation of the transient effect (basically a water wave) along the
> channel and with the possibility of interconnecting different channels
> in a network system. Nevertheless, I want to really learn how it's
> done, and, based on my personal experience, the only way to really
> learn the works of such a system, is to do it our self (at least the
> basic part of it -> no intention on building a complete cfd software
> from scratch, or at least, not for now...).
>
> I've some experience with the simulation of pipe water hammer, and the
> 1D free surface solution is basically equivalent.
>
> But this time I wanted to try something different. I've been looking
> into the different possibilities, and was wondering if a lattice-
> Boltzmann method was a good start (in 2D). For what I've seen, it's
> not too hard to program (for a free surface system, seems much simpler
> to program than a FEM or a FVM), and, from what I could understand, it
> can correctly simulate my scenario..

Lattice-Boltzmann is a good method for hydrodynamics, it's not very hard to
program once you have the "recipe" for the differential equation you want to
"emulate" or solve.

Deriving that "recipe" is harder (I think), but there is plenty of
literature on the subject specially in hydrodynamcs. I recommend Succi's articles and books to have a general view on the method.

Hope this helps.