Re: Laplace equation with gradient boundary conditions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123339] Re: Laplace equation with gradient boundary conditions
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 07:20:50 -0500 (EST)

On 11/29/2011 6:05 AM, Tom Wolander wrote:

> Could somebody help me by answering whether Laplace equation with
> Robin like BC can't really be solved?

Robin is when the same boundary has both Neumann boundary conditions and
Dirichlet on it.

I have a mathematica CDF which solves the Poisson/Laplace on
rectangle, non-uniform grid, with mixed boundary conditions.

In mixed BC, one boundary can have Neumann and the other boundary
can have Dirichlet.

It is still beta, and can have bugs, but here it is if you like
to try it (#25 in the list)

http://12000.org/my_notes/mma_demos/KERNEL/KERNEL.htm

I update it on regular basis.

I implemented it myself, using finite difference. I can
add Robin, not too hard to do, but I do not think Robin is used
much. At least in school, we never had a HW problem using it,
and it would make the GUI where one defines the BC' more
complex, and I am running out of real estate on the demonstration
interace (too many things to fit on too little space :)

--Nasser