Re: Mathematica 8 Home Edition

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116216] Re: Mathematica 8 Home Edition
  • From: "E. Martin-Serrano" <eMartinSerrano at telefonica.net>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 06:06:16 -0500 (EST)

Up to now, I had not become aware of the 32-bits restriction on the home
editions, since I am still working with a 32-bits machine and never paid
special attention to that.

However, I am now thinking of buying an Intel Core i7 (64 bits) windows 7
based machine, mainly to run my (personal) heavy Mathematica stuff
(computation and graphics developed on both, V6.01 full international
license and v7.01 Home Edition, -- the V7 home to be upgraded to V8 home if
finally I have the answers to questions I made to the WRI customer service
at the beginning of January after having unsuccessfully attempted to try
the V8-Trial).

Now, I am at a loss, since, for example, my V6.0.1 (in the "About Wolfram
Mathematica", also appears: "Plattform 32-bits").

So, I have this question to the very experts in the group.

Does this restriction mean that the Mathematica home editions would not work
at all on 64 bits machines or just that it/they would not take adventage of
the whole power of the 64 bits multiple nucleus architectures?

I assume that the full V6.0.1 licensed will run freely on 64-bits.

So, If the home editions (V7/V8) still work on a 64-bits machine, though
restricted to 32-bits, in which way, if any, would the 32-based editions
would use the four nucleus of the Intel Core i7/i5 (64 bits)? Will it depend
either on the way Mathematica uses the procesors that or on the way Windows
emulates 32 bits applications?

E. Martin-Serrano

P.S.

Just for it is of any use to anyone.

It seems that the download files (in general, but specially the huge 922Mb
V8-Trial file) are vulnerable to the downloading process. After taking all
kind of precautions to not interfere with the transfer, I have tried to
download at least six times the V8 installation file over an ADSL 6-Mb line,
and all of downloaded files came corrupted. Maybe the line had problems,...
maybe, but the SPI (Telefonica) denied that fact after my complains. As a
result,I gave up to check the trial on January 6 or so, and ask the customer
service about the issue.

But, beware, the fact to take in a account is that I have had problems with
corrupted files in downloading other different WRI application files before
(V7.01, WorkBench 1, and WorkBench 2) and finally, en each and every case,
WRI solved the problem by sending me a direct link to a different named
file (containing the same application) which I downloaded at the first
attempt whithout any problem at all. This suggests me that the trouble would
be in the file itself and not in the line.