Re: Mathematica 8 Home Edition

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116224] Re: Mathematica 8 Home Edition
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 06:06:15 -0500 (EST)

> > "Mathematica Home Edition is a 32-bit program available for Windows
> > (XP/Vista/7), Mac OS X (Intel), and Linux. *** It is not licensed for
> > commercial, nonprofit, academic, or government use. *** For those who want
> > to integrate Mathematica into their teaching, research, or work,
> > Mathematica Professional is always available."

In other words, if one of your children does a Merit Badge or Charm
project for the Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts using Mathematica and is
invited to present it at a local -- or maybe a national -- meeting of
those major nonprofit organizations, they need the Professional, not the
Home, version.

If a teacher in one of your local public schools spends extra, unpaid
overtime at home evenings preparing some special project or display
using Mathematica to enrich one the academic classes they teach, and
takes it to school next day, they need the Professional version, not the
Home version they bought with their own funds.

When I, as an emeritus (aka now unpaid) university faculty member,
continue to do significant research calculations in my home office,
using my own personal computer, and am then invited to come back over to
the university and present these results at one of their seminars (which
are in fact official academic classes), I need the Professional, not the
Home, edition in order to present or discuss any of Mathematica-derived
results, right?  [This is _not_ a hypothetical situation.]

Living on a university campus in a large empty-nester house, in
retirement, my wife and I have converted 2/3 of our house into 3 rental
studios which are rented to students or visiting Fellows.  I keep some
of the management and financial records for this income-earning (ergo,
"commercial") activity in Mathematica.  Clearly need the Professional
version, right?

The number of silly situations resulting from the silly policy that's
officially stated above is near-infinite.