How to change the directory for the docs?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115129] How to change the directory for the docs?
  • From: kj <no.email at please.post>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 04:25:29 -0500 (EST)

I want to change the location of the docs from the default under
$InstallationDirectory to a location under $UserBaseDirectory.
(Of course, I want to do this in a way that works with the Mathematica
help commands, such as selecting Help on the menu or pressing F1,
etc., and that does not break any of the internal hyperlinks from
one documentation page to another.)

How can I do this?

~kj

P.S. I believe this involves modifying System`SystemHelpPath somehow,
but I can't find out how to do this.  For one thing, I can't
determine the current value for this symbol (it evaluates to itself,
DownValues, UpValues, SubValues, DefaultValues, etc., are all empty
lists).