Re: Mathematica daily WTF

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115267] Re: Mathematica daily WTF
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 02:02:38 -0500 (EST)

Well, personally I think this is a very nice example of eclectic
programming. By that I mean the way I normally program myself; not
caring about any "purity" of style but using  functional, procedural
or rule based approaches whichever seems the most convenient at the
moment. Print, of course, works by side-effect and is something that I
also use for debugging all the time; most of the time it is much more
convenient than Trace etc.

I certainly did not mean to create the impression that I was some sort
of "functional programming purist" or anything of the sort. My response
to AES's post was essentially "philosophical"; it seemed to me that he
was asserting that, in some sense, "real world" problems were by nature
"procedural" and functional programming was invented for reasons of
aesthetics and intended for some narrow circle of connoisseurs. This
assertion seemed to me to run counter to the basic experience of every
mathematician, that one of the most fundamental concept in mathematics
is that of a function and also to the famous "unreasonable effectiveness
of mathematics in science". If functions are fundamental to mathematics
how could they not be fundamental to mathematical sciences?

Of course one could make an argument that "computational science"
is not quite the same as "mathematical science" and that algorithms
are in some basic way "procedural" while "the rest" of mathematics is
not. It is certainly true that when one looks in practically every book
on algorithms that presents them by means of some sort of "pseudo-code",
one will find that this pseudo-code is "procedural" (at least this is
true in every case known to me). This probably leads many to conclude
that "algorithmic" is almost synonymous with "procedural". While I am not
expert on this matter and so can't speak with full confidence, it seems
to me that this is more likely an "accident" caused by the original and
by now "traditional" design of the computer. I am not sure if a design
has even been tried or is even conceivable. However, for high-level
programming languages the physical issue is largely irrelevant. I do
not deny that one can come up with situations, like some that have
been described in this thread, which seems to be much harder to model
in a functional than a procedural way, but my own view is that the best
response to this situation is by "encapsulating" procedural code in new
"bui lt-in" functions, which then make it very easy to program in a
functional way tasks that used to seem impossible.

This actually brings me to one issue that I have long wondered about. I
have never seen a Mathematica "functional" code that would perform what is
known as "backtracking". In the Combinatorica package there is a function
called "Backtrack", that is quite general and often very useful, but it
is inefficient because it is written in Mathematica's procedural style
and cannot be compiled because (if I remember correctly) it makes use
of list that are not tensors. For many years I have hoped that some for
some sort of efficient general backtracking built in in the Mathematica
kernel, but, although a lot of Combinatorica functionality has made its
way into the kernel, unfortunately this has not happened to "Backtrack".

Andrzej Kozlowski