Re: Mathematica daily WTF

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115316] Re: Mathematica daily WTF
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 04:11:01 -0500 (EST)

I'd try something like:

Clear[echo]
Attributes[echo] = {HoldAll};
echo[s_, place_] /; debug :=
  Print[ToString[Unevaluated[s]], " = ", s, " at ", place]

With a module like this:

debug = True;
bookSave[num_]:=Module[{book,dir},

(* some code *)
echo[dir, 1];
echo[book, 2];
echo[num, 3];

(* other code *)

]

The printed output was:

dir$3287 = /Users/keleen/TS/Wings/ at 1

book$3287 = Book1 at 2

1 = 1 at 3

It's annoying that "num" prints as its value, rather than its name.

Unevaluated is still a mystery.

Bobby

DrMajorBob at yahoo.com