Re: Parallelize & Functions That Remember Values They Have Found

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115516] Re: Parallelize & Functions That Remember Values They Have Found
  • From: thomas <thomas.muench at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 03:27:22 -0500 (EST)

Dear Guido,

I have faced a similar problem recently. As a way around this, I collected the definitions known to the remote kernels in the following way:

f[n_] := f[n] = Prime[n]
DistributeDefinitions[f];
ParallelEvaluate[f[n], {n, 500000}];(*now all f's are known remotely*)
DownValues[f]=Flatten[ParallelEvaluate[DownValues[f]]];(*now all f's are known centrally*)
result = Table[f[n], {n, 500000}];

This collection of data can take quite some time and eat up the advantages you gain by parallelization. So it is only worth doing this if your real code gains enough speed by parallel evaluation. The best is to experiment with that!

Even though it works, it seems quite cumbersome to me. I feel that there should be a better way.

thomas