Re: Problems Exporting to PDF

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115750] Re: Problems Exporting to PDF
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 06:26:37 -0500 (EST)

In article <ih6egp$3ih$1 at smc.vnet.net>, Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
wrote:

> You could break it into pages
> linesPerPage = 40;
> grid5 = Grid[#, Frame -> All] & /@
>    Partition[
>     Join[
>      Table[Flatten[
>        {StandardForm["Question " <> ToString[n]],
>         RandomInteger[{10^5, 10^8}, 5]}],
>       {n, 100}],
>      Table[{}, {linesPerPage - 1}]],
>     linesPerPage];
> Table[Export["grid5" <> "_" <> ToString[n] <> ".pdf",
>   grid5[[n]]], {n, Length[grid5]}]
> {"grid5_1.pdf", "grid5_2.pdf", "grid5_3.pdf"}
> Bob Hanlon

I have no quarrel at all with an example like the above (and admiration
for those who can code this kind of thing).

But thinking back on the recent threads about procedural vs functional
programming and trying to decipher what this code does for myself makes
it ever more clear why my approach to the same problem --  and I think
the recommended approach for most Mathematica users -- would be something like a Do loop, generating and exporting one "block" (one example of
"grid5_n.pdf") per loop.

And suppose instead Helen Read wanted to generate many questions of
varying length (let each question be a separate "grid5_n" block), and
then export as many individual questions to a page as would fit on that
exported page, but never have the last question on a page run off the
bottom of the page, or over to the next page?  (The process that TeX
handles so beautifully and easily with \filbreak)  How might that be
coded functionally?

(And of course there could be a fews cases where an occasional "grid5_n"
question or block is individually longer than a single page . . . )