Re: loops in mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116058] Re: loops in mathematica
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 03:23:55 -0500 (EST)

On 30/01/2011 00:43, Isabella Blengini wrote:
> I have a problem with a loop that I would like to write in Mathematica.
>
> I have a function sigma that changes with i.
> and I have a function alpha that changes with sigma.
>
> Imagining that i goes from 1 to 100, in another system I would write something like:
>
> sigma=zeros(100,1);
>
> alpha=zeros(100,1);
>

> for i=1:100;
>
>      sigma(i,1)=some function of i;
>
> end
>

> for i=1:100;
>
>      alpha(i,1)=some function of sigma(i,1);
>
> end
>

> and I would get 2 vectors (100,1).
>

> Please let me know if you can help me
>

> MANY THAnks,
>
> isabella

If you press F1 (to bring up the help system), type in loop, and press
return, you will see links to a number of looping functions. Each one
will have examples that can be cut and pasted into your notebook and
altered to suit your needs!

Table will also do what you require without using a loop, and you might
want to look up Map as well.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk