Re: How to write a "proper" math document

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120100] Re: How to write a "proper" math document
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 04:53:44 -0400 (EDT)

In article <iv45sh$f6b$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 "McHale, Paul" <Paul.McHale at excelitas.com> wrote:

> Thanks!  Very powerful comments.  I will have to think considerably about
> this.  I wonder if this is what Stephen Wolfram did?  Anyone have insight?
> No doubt Heikki Ruskeepaa's work should almost ship with Mathematica.  I
> consider it one of a few essential books for Mathematica.

Well, as a confirmation of my own "reference material on physical
desktop, active computations on monitor screen" approach (or maybe just
my own compulsive character), I have literally razor-bladed my copy of
Navigator in 30 separate chapters, each held by a mini binder clip, all
of them standing upright in a box on my self.  (Thank god he followed
the long-standing publishing practice of starting each chapter on a
right-hand page.)

When I need to get into some new Mathematica topic (stylesheet editing,
manipulations,  difference equations, whatever), the relevant chapter
comes over on the desktop to get consulted, highlighted and marked up.
I wish he'd sell the book as a boxed set something like this -- or at
least a spiral-bound folio-sized lie-flat version.