Re: Enterprise level Mathematica idea

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120221] Re: Enterprise level Mathematica idea
  • From: Armand Tamzarian <mike.honeychurch at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 05:20:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Jul 10, 7:04 pm, "McHale, Paul" <Paul.McH... at excelitas.com> wrote:
> Rather than start with the how, I would like to describe the end user exp=
erience that we would like to shoot for as if I were reviewing something th=
at doesn't exist.

> When a user wants to start a new Mathematica document, they simply launch=
 an empty notebook.  The user is likely not to know anything beyond a bas=
ic few commands.  However, to  perform complex tasks specific for their=
 organization, they simply leverage the shared corporate library.  This l=
ibrary makes it possible to develop very powerful notebooks without the nee=
d for learning details of implementation that are unique to that  organiz=
ation.

> Example code of connecting to a database, retrieving product specific man=
ufacturing information over a date range and with regard to a certain crite=
ria is accomplished by one "corporate command", or cf*[].

> myResults=cfPartsInfo[x"Product",x"Start date", x"End Date", x"Criteria=
 from Result table"];
> Max[myResults]
> Min[MyResults]
> Length[myList]
>
> Note: Depending on the format of myResults, there may be cfMax[], cfMin[]=
 and cfLength[].
> Note: all parameters start with x.  This indicates there are multiple c=
hoices.

> When the user selects cfPartsPassed[] from a auto-generated palette (deri=
ved from shared library), the placeholders or the parameters buttons.  Wh=
en pressed, a list pops up which the user can select which product they wan=
t to look at.  The same for date and which criteria.

> myResults=cfPartsInfo["Rocket MarkA,"June, 2010", "June, 2011", "Pass/F=
ail"];

> Would return the pass/fail status of Rocket MarkA for the past year.
>
> Required functionality to support this effort:
>
> 1. Ability for developers to write functions cf* and deploiy them to a ce=
ntral repository

> 2. Ability for developers to dynamically populate the popup list for para=
meter selection using repository code and network access
> 3. Support for auto-palette generation based on repository
> 4. Support for each user to "check for updates" to make sure they have la=
test copy of central repository

> This provides critical functionality not available in any package I know =
of:
> 1. Users will need to learn very little about mathematica but will be abl=
e to leverage it well beyond their understanding.  I think this is true f=
or all Mathematica users.  How many of could truly understand all the alg=
orithms used in the optmization functions?  Why should the users be requi=
red to understand Mathematica when the corporate specific code can be devel=
oped once and abstracted from the user?

> 2. The developers will have a trivial way to "deploy" their code to the u=
sers.  When the users chooses to "update local library" Mathematica shoul=
d populate the palettes accordingly and update any help files as approriate=