Re: Enterprise level Mathematica idea

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120243] Re: Enterprise level Mathematica idea
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 21:19:35 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/10/2011 2:04 AM, McHale, Paul wrote:
> Rather than start with the how, I would like to describe the end user experience...

I think that what you are shooting for looks very much like the business
model for several other software companies, where the basic core of the
program is used as the support for libraries of applications and
user-interfaces etc. etc.

The core program is low cost (maybe even free).
The libraries are expensive.

There are at least 2 math computing programs in this space, and several
computer-aided design systems I am aware of. One can even argue that
some of this sounds like spreadsheet software.

I think the question then becomes what is the value added if the core
support includes Mathematica, rather than one of those other systems,
or even just a simple language support, perhaps a scripting language,
with essentially ALL the functionality in the library.

RJF