Re: TransformedDistribution, for a sum of M iid variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120483] Re: TransformedDistribution, for a sum of M iid variables
  • From: Robert Rosenbaum <robertr at math.uh.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 07:29:17 -0400 (EDT)

>> Thanks for the neat proof. Sorry I wasn't clear about my goals. I
>> want to include a sum of iid variables in a TransfornedDistribution,
>> and then calculate the Mean and Variance of the distribution.

I know I'm pointing out the obvious here, but the mean and variance of a
sum of independent variables is the sum of the means and variances.  No
need to use TransformedDistribution or CumulantGeneratingFunction or
anything else.

Perhaps you're trying to provide an illustration to a classroom or
something along those lines and you want to plot the density of the sum,
then find its mean and variance.  You can achieve this by convolving the
individual densities.

Best,
Robert