Re: TransformedDistribution, for a sum of M iid variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120478] Re: TransformedDistribution, for a sum of M iid variables
  • From: Paul von Hippel <paulvonhippel at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 07:28:23 -0400 (EDT)

I meant question ii -- i.e., how do I code this in Mathematica. The problem I am trying to solve is complicated and it wouldn't be productive to lay out all its details. But a simpler version would be this: I wish to calculate the mean and variance of the distribution U+avgMF, where U is a chi-square variable and avgMF is the average of M iid F variables. I can solve this problem by hand, but I wish solve this and similar, more complicated problems using the TransformedDistribution function. Many thanks for any pointers.