Re: Mapping to Create Nested Loops

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119395] Re: Mapping to Create Nested Loops
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 07:27:29 -0400 (EDT)

GatherBy[myArray, #[[3]] &]

GatherBy[#, #[[3]] &] & /@ myListOfArrays

Bob Hanlon

---- Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca> wrote:

=============
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to learn how to use pure functions and mapping to create what amounts to nested loops.

Suppose I have a 50 x 6 array called myArray.  The third element of each row is the word red, blue, or green.  If I wanted to break down the array into three according to the value of the third element, I could do this:

Cases[myArray, {__, __, #, __, __, __}] & /@ {red, blue, green}

But what if I needed to do this for more than one array?  Suppose I had three 50 x 6 arrays as

myListOfArrays = {myArray1, myArray2, myArray3} or perhaps the arrays might be imported from files.

Regards,

Gregory