Re: Cool FTP implementation with "minimal" Python

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119486] Re: Cool FTP implementation with "minimal" Python
  • From: Alexey Popkov <lehin.p at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 06:23:47 -0400 (EDT)

David Bailey vrote:
> It is also possible in 8.0 to call C code
> in a DLL directly (i.e. with no inter-process overhead) and although I
> have not made use of this yet, this feature obviously has interesting
> possibilities.

I have no access to version 8 at the moment but could you explain more? It is very interesting to have the ability to call DLL's directly, especially system libraries under like kernel32.dll under Windows. Could you give an example of using it (I am especially interested in calling GlobalMemoryStatusEx function that "retrieves information about the system's current usage of both physical and virtual memory." In C# it is easy to get this information in numerical form:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366589%28VS.85%29.aspx

It is also possible to get it via NETLink:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/CECRZekCGdU/OkF1kyxf014J

But how can this be done in Mathematica 8 without using NETLink?