MathGroup Archive 2011

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Cool FTP implementation with "minimal" Python

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119497] Re: Cool FTP implementation with "minimal" Python
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 06:45:19 -0400 (EDT)

Good question!  I agree any FTP client could be used provided it had a command line interface or a script control.

Python is also fantastic at sending and receiving Ethernet packets.  With a very short python script, I can control external Ethernet based equipment with commands generated from Mathematica.  I guess I didn't state it very well.  Python is similar to Mathematica in that it offers access to tremendous libraries that are well supported.  I didn't realize how easy it was to call python scripts from Mathematica.

I could try Java, I'm just not as familiar with it.

Paul McHale  |  Electrical Engineer, Energetics Systems  |  Excelitas Technologies Corp.

Phone:   +1 937.865.3004   |   Fax:  +1 937.865.5170   |   Mobile:   +1 937.371.2828
1100 Vanguard Blvd, Miamisburg, Ohio 45342-0312 USA
Paul.McHale at Excelitas.com
www.excelitas.com

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
This email message and any attachments are confidential and proprietary to Excelitas Technologies Corp. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please inform the sender by replying to this email or sending a message to the sender and destroy the message and any attachments.
Thank you

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2011 7:03 AM
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
Subject: [mg119497] [mg119468] Re: Cool FTP implementation with "minimal" Python

It looks good, but what's the matter with having Mathematica call FTP (with a Mathematica generated ftp script file) directly? What's the advantage of introducing a Python dependency?

• Prev by Date: Re: How the final "typeset" expression of TableForm is generated?
  • Next by Date: Re: How show axes labels with AxesOrigin->{0,0,0} in 3D?
  • Previous by thread: Re: Cool FTP implementation with "minimal" Python
  • Next by thread: FindFit