Re: How show axes labels with AxesOrigin->{0,0,0} in 3D?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119508] Re: How show axes labels with AxesOrigin->{0,0,0} in 3D?
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 06:47:18 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/6/2011 3:24 AM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> Since Mathematica 7, 3D graphics has allowed the AxesOrigin option so
> that, for example, the axes can go through the origin {0,0,0}, just like
> the way that mathematicians (or at least college calculus teachers) do
> it and teach their students to do it.
>
> That works, but...
>
> If you include an AxesLabel option, the labels do not appear, e.g., from:
>
>      Plot3D[x^2 - y^2, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2},
>             AxesOrigin ->  {0, 0, 0},
>             AxesLabel ->  {x, y, z},
>             BoxRatios ->  {1, 1, 1}, Boxed ->  False]
>
> Is there some way to make the axes labels appear (other than to add them
> manually using the Text function, say in an Epilog)?
>
> [And is this just another instance of WRI protracted stubbornness even
> in admitting that having 3D axes emanating from the origin is a
> permissible way of handling 3D graphics?  (Scientific/engineering
> convention seems overwhelmingly to favor axes along edges of a 3D
> graphic, whereas in math -- as I suggested, at least in multivariable
> calculus -- axes emanating from the origin is the norm.)

Hello;

The axes labels are there, just hard to see. Here is a proof:

Plot3D[x^2 - y^2,
  {x, -2, 2},
  AxesOrigin -> {0, 0, 0},
  AxesLabel -> {Style[x, Red, 40], Style[y, Red, 40],
    Style[z, Red, 40]},
  BoxRatios -> {1, 1, 1},
  Boxed -> False]

I consider axes labels for 3D not be well implemented in Mathematica. Please
see this discussion

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6182804/mathematica-help-me-understand-mathematica-3d-coordinates-system

--Nasser