Re: Multiple use of Set on lists

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119761] Re: Multiple use of Set on lists
  • From: Oleksandr Rasputinov <oleksandr_rasputinov at hmamail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 05:51:38 -0400 (EDT)

The problem is due to Set being HoldFirst but MapThread not having any
corresponding Hold attributes. While the c's are being substituted for their values too early, this is not an issue with MapThread per se; rather it is a consequence of how attributes affect the order of evaluation in Mathematica.

An ugly hack which solves the problem as stated is the following:

SubValues[c] = Block[{c},
  MapThread[Set, {cs, rands}];
  SubValues[c]
];

However, it may be better to reformulate the problem in such a way
that this construct is not needed.