Re: Again : Is there a BNF for Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119788] Re: Again : Is there a BNF for Mathematica?
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 03:45:19 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/25/2011 2:57 AM, E. Martin-Serrano wrote:
  ... stuff about parsing ...

1. BNF can be used to describe a context-free language.
2. The Mathematica language is not context free, and thus cannot be
described completely in BNF.
3. If you need to parse Mathematica expressions and you have a
Mathematica system around, you can simply use it to convert the
expressions to FullForm, which is easily re-parsed (and does have a BNF).

4. If you do not have a Mathematica around, there are (free) programs
that will parse Mathematica into something equivalent to FullForm.

5. Your ideas about what you would do if you had a BNF for Mathematica
seem to conflate syntax with semantics (evaluation) and, so far as I can
tell, do not seem to make sense.  If you wish to do experiments with
programming language transformations, you can easily learn about other
programming languages that are (a) well-defined (b) much more popular
(c) can be described by BNF (d) are susceptible to transformations into
the same language for efficiency or readability or program proofs or
other purposes.

There is a substantial literature on such subjects. I suspect that
Mathematica has little or nothing to add to the discussion, and in my
opinion certainly does not have enough value added to compensate for its
complexity syntactically or semantically. For example, do you think that
you fully understand the matching process at the core of the rule-based
transformation system that underlies Mathematica evaluation?
Can you really demonstrate that two non-trivial Mathematica "programs"
compute the same thing?

RJF