MathGroup Archive 2011

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Convenient way to add inline formatting to usage Messages

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119801] Re: Convenient way to add inline formatting to usage Messages
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 07:24:38 -0400 (EDT)
  • Reply-to: comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica at googlegroups.com

Use ToString[ foo, StandardForm]

Example
f::usage =
 "f[" <> ToString[Subscript[Style["x", Italic], "1"], StandardForm] <>
   "," <> ToString[Text[" \[Ellipsis]"], TraditionalForm] <>
  "] is a function of a sequence of " <>
  ToString[Style[Subscript["x", "i"], Italic], StandardForm]

On Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:52:57 AM UTC-5, Alexey Popkov wrote:
> Usage Messages of built-in functions have embedded in-line formatting. For example:
>
> In[1]:= AiryAiPrime::usage // FullForm
> Out[1]//FullForm=
> "\!\(\*RowBox[{\"AiryAiPrime\", \"[\", StyleBox[\"z\", \"TI\"], \"]\"}]\) gives the derivative of the Airy function \!\(\*RowBox[{SuperscriptBox[\"Ai\", \"\[Prime]\"], \"(\", StyleBox[\"z\", \"TI\"], \")\"}]\). "
>
> One can see that this in-line formatting is based on the set of styles defined in "Styles for Inline Formatting" section of the Core.nb stylesheet. But I have not found any description of these styles as well as any description of the convenient way to add formatting to usage Messages.
>
> What is the convenient way to add in-line formatting to user-defined usage Messages in Mathematica? What are the usage rules of default styles for in-line formatting defined in the Core.nb stylesheet? I would like to add in-line formating for messages in my package just with Mathematica, without installing additional components like Workbench etc.

• Prev by Date: DSolve gives different answer to NDSolve
  • Next by Date: Re: Date based calculations
  • Previous by thread: Convenient way to add inline formatting to usage Messages
  • Next by thread: Re: Convenient way to add inline formatting to usage Messages