Re: Assigning part of indexed object

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119863] Re: Assigning part of indexed object
  • From: Oleksandr Rasputinov <oleksandr_rasputinov at hmamail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 06:26:49 -0400 (EDT)

Leonid,

I fully agree with all of your comments and of course you are right to
point out that modifying core functions such as Set is a bad idea in
general due to the likelihood of unintended consequences. Of course,
the performance issue introduced for setting parts of OwnValues can
be repaired to some extent:

indexedQ = Function[sym,
   Symbol =!= Head@Unevaluated[sym] =!= Unevaluated[sym],
   HoldFirst
  ];

Unprotect[Set];
Set[(sym_?indexedQ)[[part_]], val_] := (
   sym = ReplacePart[sym, part -> val];
   sym[[part]]
  );
Protect[Set];

which restores the O(1) behaviour (albeit at the cost of an increased
constant factor). But even so, I will join with you in stressing that this
general approach is dangerous and should be attempted only with
extreme caution, if at all.

Best,

O. R.