Geolocation in Session Information Message

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119869] Geolocation in Session Information Message
  • From: "Hobbs, Sylvia (DPH)" <sylvia.hobbs at state.ma.us>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 07:30:56 -0400 (EDT)

I just got an unforeseen pop-up message before in Mathematica: "Wolfram|Alpha can sometimes return better results when it has access to certain details of your Mathematica session. Do you want to allow that?"

And the response options are No or Yes, always or Yes, for this session. Then a Details box below the message indicates a longitude, latitude Geolocation. I was going to say Yes, always but noticed that the GeoLocation is in my State but not anywhere near me.

I was wondering whether any of  you knew whether the Geolocator in Mathematica's session details is based on a generic State centroid longitude/latitude or geocodes from the full address of the licensee? In either case the linework used for geocoding seems a little off.

Sylvia Hobbs