MathGroup Archive 2011

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Reading Data Table

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119945] Re: Reading Data Table
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 20:41:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • References: <201106301030.GAA15503@smc.vnet.net>

One quick way to do it is to read it in as a string and then use ImportString [] to sort it out.

TestA.Txt:
1 2 3
4 5 6

In= mList=Import["c:\\testa.txt"];
In= mList=ImportString[mList,"Table"]

Out= {{1,2,3},{4,5,6}}

OR

In= ReadList["C:\\testa.txt", Number, RecordLists -> True, WordSeparators-> {" ", "\[Backslash]t"}, RecordSeparators -> {"\r\n", "\n", "\r"}]

Out= {{1,2,3},{4,5,6}}

Note: Don't leave Number specifier out!  Also, here is the URL in the help system that I used (if it helps):

tutorial/ReadingTextualData

Type that into the search box in the help system.

Paul McHale  |  Electrical Engineer, Energetics Systems  |  Excelitas Technologies Corp.

Phone:   +1 937.865.3004   |   Fax:  +1 937.865.5170   |   Mobile:   +1 937.371.2828
1100 Vanguard Blvd, Miamisburg, Ohio 45342-0312 USA
Paul.McHale at Excelitas.com
www.excelitas.com

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
This email message and any attachments are confidential and proprietary to Excelitas Technologies Corp. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please inform the sender by replying to this email or sending a message to the sender and destroy the message and any attachments.
Thank you

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:31 AM
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
Subject: [mg119945] Reading Data Table

Is there a way to read a file with a user specified word separator and record separator, such that the result is a list of lists of words?

For example, a file containing "1 2 3\n4 5 6" would become {{1,2,3}, {4,5,6}}.

Import does almost exactly what I want, although I can't figure out how to change the word and record separators.

In particular, I have a file where word separators are tab characters, but the data themselves have spaces.  Therefore, Mathematica's default word separator of whitespace does not work.

• Prev by Date: Re: can't Solve[1 - x == x^r, x]?
  • Next by Date: Re: OpenCL
  • Previous by thread: Reading Data Table
  • Next by thread: Weighted Histogram