Re: Vector Runge-Kutta ODE solver with compilation?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116809] Re: Vector Runge-Kutta ODE solver with compilation?
  • From: DmitryG <einschlag at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 05:21:15 -0500 (EST)

On 28 Feb., 05:54, Daniel Lichtblau <d... at wolfram.com> wrote:

> > > Any help?
>
> > > Dmitry
>
> > Another major problem: If in the code above one removes
> > CompilationTarget->"C", it is working well until NN becomes larger
> > then ~1000. For larger NN, say NN00, compilation breaks because of
> > lack of memory on my laptop. One can see how fast the memory is
> > getting consumed during compilation. This seems to be a deficiency of
> > the current version of the Mathematica compiler that probably makes it
> > inappropriate for solving larger problems where compilation is really
> > needed. And there seems to be an even bigger problem with using
> > external C compiler.
>
> > Dmitry
>
> This is an unusual claim to make. The implication is something along the lines "Surely my usage is flawless, so all problems must be the fault of the underlying software."
>
> I code a fair amount in both Mathematica and C, and that sort of claim is one I would rarely make with either.
>
> Daniel Lichtblau
> Wolfram Research

Hi Daniel,

I am posting a working code and you can quickly run it with and
without compilation in C, to see the problem.

I do not claim that my code is flawless. It is straightforward but
maybe you could suggest how to eliminate the bottleneck in compilation
in C. I would be very grateful if you do. Currently I cannot use this
option for my problems.

Compilation with Mathematica's own compiler works fine up to NN=1200
on my standard laptop and I am considering using other computers with
more memory. BTW, Mathematica 7 on my (older) workstation also has
Compile implemented but it is working much slower than Mathematica 8
on my laptop. This is to say that I see the progress and I hope that
compilation will be improved in future releases of Mathematica.

Best,

Dmitry