Alternative to DumpSave

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116889] Alternative to DumpSave
  • From: Thomas Muench <thomas.muench at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 05:59:35 -0500 (EST)

Dear Mathgroup,

Can anybody suggest an elegant alternative to the DumpSave[] command?
I like DumpSave because it gives a compact (=small file size)
representation of variables and their definitions. However, the format
is not portable across systems. For example, I cannot load the
DumpSave-ed data from a Win-XP system into a Win-7-64bit system.

To describe the problem more explicitely: I have created data in a
lengthy computation that is saved in a couple of variables. These
variables each have relatively complex definitions, for example many
variations of var1["descriptor"]={something}. I then save the
definitions of these variables with DumpSave like that:
DumpSave["filename.mx",{var1,var2,var3}];
In a later session, I can re-load them with Get["filename.mx"], which
works wonderfully and amazingly fast.

How can I achieve something equivalent accross systems?

This in in Mathematica 8.

Thank you!
thomas