Re: Alternative to DumpSave

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116941] Re: Alternative to DumpSave
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 06:05:56 -0500 (EST)

On 04/03/2011 08:38, Vince Virgilio wrote:
> On Thursday, March 3, 2011 6:00:33 AM UTC-5, thomas wrote:
>> Dear Mathgroup,
>>
>> Can anybody suggest an elegant alternative to the DumpSave[] command?
>
> SNIP
>
>> How can I achieve something equivalent accross systems?
>
> SNIP
>
> I export to WDX format to do this. See ref/format/WDX in the Doc Center.
>
> Vince

I did a little test, and found that the WDX file was almost 3 times the
size of the mx file. more troublesomely,

Time to Export vs DumpSave: 1.64 vs 0.03
Time to Import vs Get 0.172 vs 0.00 (i.e. negligible)

The data contained a medium sized sparse array, plus some other data. I
don't quite see why the WDX format should be any more expensive that
DumpSave if the effort was put in!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk