Re: Alternative to DumpSave

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116982] Re: Alternative to DumpSave
  • From: Vince Virgilio <blueschi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 05:44:24 -0500 (EST)

On Saturday, March 5, 2011 6:24:12 AM UTC-5, David Bailey wrote:

SNIP

> I did a little test, and found that the WDX file was almost 3 times the
> size of the mx file. more troublesomely,
>
> Time to Export vs DumpSave: 1.64 vs 0.03
> Time to Import vs Get 0.172 vs 0.00 (i.e. negligible)
>
> The data contained a medium sized sparse array, plus some other data. I
> don't quite see why the WDX format should be any more expensive that
> DumpSave if the effort was put in!

David,

I wish WDX was more efficient. But I couldn't find a simpler way to save arbitrary amounts of arbitrary data from the r.h.s of expressions for reuse in a heterogeneous environment.

I think I tripped across a MathGroup post in the past months with an oblique reference to WDX as the format which carries much (all?) of the data for the *Data[] functions. That'd make sense to me.

Vince