Notebook interface and Wolfram-Alpha

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117012] Notebook interface and Wolfram-Alpha
  • From: Didier laplot <didier.laplot at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 05:49:57 -0500 (EST)

Good day,

Mathematica 8 puts by default in the notebook a thin grey line with a
plus sign on its left that activates a local menu allowing the
selection of the mode of input, including Wolfram-Alpha and free-form
input. The fact is that: 1. I have no use at all for Wolfram-Alpha or
free-input form; and 2. I much prefer the traditional simple notebook
interface as found in previous versions. So my question is: can we get
rid of this "Plus" button ? I spent hours perusing through all the
options available via Option inspector and trying a few ones without
success so far.
I have nothing against Wolfram-Alpha but I may be old-fashioned or I
read too many times and with too much attention the "Introduction a
l'=E9tude de la m=E9decine exp=E9rimentale" so that if I need some data, I
usually know exactly where to find it and I preferably would need the
reference to the actual work or study so that if I use the data I am
fully aware of the method of measurement used and its inevitable
limitations and possibly of the background of the study. I also don't
like the fact that it's a private company that is behind such a
project. I would rather see this as an international governmental
disinterested endeavor. But that's a matter of personal preference
really.
I have no need for free-input form because Mathematica for me is a
programming language, a scientific computing environment and a
collection of functions implementing all sorts of useful algorithms. I
use it along with other similar tools and libraries. Sometimes I like
to prepare notes or reports where the programs and their outputs are
accompanied by comments and plots and form a kind of complete
documents. The same can be done in other systems but not so naturally
and easily, and this is a clear advantage of the notebook interface of
Mathematica.
I welcome your suggestions on how one could cure the notebook
interface of the horizontal line with a "plus" sign.

Many thanks