Re: Any recommendations for new hardware (quadcore/GPUs)?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117054] Re: Any recommendations for new hardware (quadcore/GPUs)?
  • From: "Emilio Martin-Serrano Sobrino" <emartinserrano at telefonica.net>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 06:05:48 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Good advice!

I have just moving to new hardware, currently testing  a desktop Acer  i5
dual core, 3.2 GHz 64bits plus  4Gb RAM (Windows 7) with NVIDIA GForce 315 -
512Mb; I am a bit disappointed with the new desktop, since I  have not found
much difference in performance in respect to my,  veteran but yet at work,
HP 3.60 GHz, 32 bits plus  1Gb RAM (XP/SP3).  In particular the response to
heavy use of dynamic devices (sliders, manipulators and others, which I
sometimes use to trigger fairly entangled computations). I make heavy use of
Dynamic and I thought that this  new machine was going to solve some
significant performance problems tied to the feature IMHO.

I  gather from what you say that RAM is, with Mathematica,  far more
important than CPU (is this that with Dynamic too), and  so I might go
beyond the 4 Gb RAM;  and that the  GForce 315 - 512Mb  card the Acer I5
brings (yet  with CUDA & OpenCL support) would be not enough either. Since I
am to return the brand new Acer to the dealer, (Acer, or maybe the dealer,
advertised the machine had 6Gb RAM instead of the 4Gb it actually has), I
would tray another  machine with larger configuration.

Something additional to take in account, in my case,  is that  the V8 HE
that  I am now using only supports 34Bits. So, in which degree could this be
more or less balanced (in respect to 64bits support) by installing more RAM?

Any additional comments will be welcome.

Thank you.

E. Martin-Serrano

 An additional consideration is that the V8 HE  I am using now  does not
support 64 bits.