NDSolve is using Solve?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117090] NDSolve is using Solve?
  • From: "J.Frazer" <j.frazer at sussex.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 07:01:29 -0500 (EST)

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting so my apologies if I'm going about this
the wrong way. I'm having the following problem:

I'm using NDSolve but its not managing to get to the solution even if I
leave it running over the weekend. If I greatly simplify one of the
equations I can get a result but in either case I get the error messages

Solve:: incnst
Solve:: ifun

This worries me as if its trying to simplify analytically, presumably as
the equations becomes more complicated this will become incredibly time
consuming.

Do people agree this may be the cause of the long running time? If so,
is there a way of stopping NDSolve from using Solve?

Cheers,

Jonny=