Re: Notebook interface and Wolfram-Alpha

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117151] Re: Notebook interface and Wolfram-Alpha
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 06:15:08 -0500 (EST)

That's strange: With Mathematica 8.0.1 under Mac OSX, whenever I open a
new (blank) notebook, the first thing I see is a horizontal line with
the + symbol just below its left end, indicating that's where I can type
input in a new cell.  And then after I evaluate a cell, immediately
below the output I see such a line with the + icon there, too.  (The
line and + go away as soon as you begin to type in the new cell.)

I find this a handy confirmation that the cursor is where a new cell can
be created -- a more immediately visible indicator that the old way.

this can be handy, especially, for novice users who may be puzzled as to
where to type input. Yet the line and + icon are so unobtrusive that
they certainly don't annoy me, a very long-time and experienced
Mathematica user.  (I just don't get what could be so "annoying" about
it -- other than that it's something a bit new and different.)

I see the same behavior with Mathematica 8.0.1 under Windows (XP). And
I'm pretty sure the new behavior began with 8.0.0.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305