Export bsplinesurface as nurbs-import into Rhino

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117292] Export bsplinesurface as nurbs-import into Rhino
  • From: "W. Craig Carter" <ccarter at mit.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 05:59:26 -0500 (EST)

Mathgroup,
I am wondering if anyone has done this.  I have a colleague who would
like to modify a mathematica-generated surface in rhino (CAD software
which imports a large variety of 3d data files).

I've tried this:
(***start***)
ppts = Table[{Cos[t] Sin[p], Sin[t] Sin[p], Cos[p]}, {p, Pi/6, Pi,
Pi/12}, {t,
     0, Pi, Pi/6}];

bspl = Graphics3D[{Green, BSplineSurface[ppts]}, Boxed -> False]

Export["test.wrl", b]
(**end**)
for 3ds, dxf, lwo, ply, pov, rib, and wrl.  All of them appear to as
meshed surfaces and not nurbs. ply cannot be imported.

There is a 2008 mathgroup reference:
http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2008/Aug/msg00437.html
which claims to have done this for iges, , but the source is no longer
available as far as I can tell.

Thanks, Craig