Re: Joining points of ListPlot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117280] Re: Joining points of ListPlot
  • From: Michael Stern <nycstern at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 05:57:12 -0500 (EST)

Antonio,

Some points of your question are unclear, but perhaps this will cover all relevant cases.

1. If you have functions, the simplest way is:

Plot[{Sin[x], Cos[x]}, {x, 0, 2*Pi}]

2. You refer to "joined points," however, which suggests that you may be dealing with lists of points rather than functions. If so, you can do the same thing as follows:

(* creating the two lists *)
s1 = Table[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2*Pi, .1}];
c1 = Table[Cos[x], {x, 0, 2*Pi, .1}];

(* plot *)
ListPlot[{s1, c1}, Joined -> True]

3. You refer to the points not being ordered, from which I take that one or both of the lists of plots has cartesian coordinates, not ordered by the independent variable. In this case, you can use Sort or SortBy to put them in order.

(* creating two cartesian lists, neither of which is 'ordered' by the definition above *)
s2 = RotateLeft[Table[{x, Sin[x]}, {x, 0, 2*Pi, .1}]];
c2 = RotateRight[Table[{x, Cos[x]}, {x, 0, 2*Pi, .1}]];

(* plot by sorted versions of these unordered lists *)
ListPlot[{SortBy[s2, First], SortBy[c2, First]}, Joined -> True]

Does that help?

Michael