Re: Wolfram, meet Stefan and Boltzmann

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117285] Re: Wolfram, meet Stefan and Boltzmann
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 05:58:08 -0500 (EST)

Many of you will recognize that the integral in question

   Integrate[x^3/(Exp[x] - 1), {x, 0, Infinity}]

arises in the derivation of the Stefan-Boltzmann constant.

I was reviewing this derivation in Wikipedia. Wikipedia's analytical
evaluation of the integral itself, given in an Appendix to the
Stefan-Boltzmann article, takes a couple of screens of text and a dozen
intermediate formulas, with excursions into contour integration and
infinite series expansions.

I became curious as to whether Mathematica could "just do" this integral
so I opened Mathematica, typed in the line above, and evaluated it.  I
was surprised at how long it took the first time, although reevaluation
of the same cell was essentially instantaneous.

So I shut down Mathematica; re-Opened it; and repeated the evaluation
using Timing[-].  Did this several times, and found that from a "cold
start", that is, when I Quit and then re-Open Mathematica, it always
takes 18 or 19 seconds to do the first evaluation.

My Mac is a 2007 or 2007 vintage MacBook with hardware overview given
below, running Snow Leopard in a generally vanilla setup (only about 60
GB occupied on the 160 GB HD).

So, I'm still a bit curious:  What's Mathematica doing all that time? --
algorithm to evaluate the integral?   ???

Hardware Overview:

  Model Name:  MacBook
  Model Identifier:  MacBook2,1
  Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo