Re: $MaxNumber

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117359] Re: $MaxNumber
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 06:26:42 -0500 (EST)

Followup:

First, apparently, when I think I'm being helpful, but only have about 60
seconds to devote to an issue because I'm allegedly on vacation, perhaps I
should just stay silent rather than publicly putting my foot in my mouth.  My
two sentence response, aside from not actually being that helpful, spawned at
least three totally unrelated questions from several people.

Everything that I said before was absolutely true, if one assumes that there
were some kind of 32/64-bit different in $MaxNumber.  There was in version 6 of
Mathematica (which is why the referenced website discusses this), but there
wasn't in v7 or v8.  I don't know why it changed...not my area, sorry.

To answer other questions spawned by my response...

* It's pretty easy to know you have Home Edition.  The Welcome Screen (which
opens on startup, or Help->Welcome Screen) would tell you in big red letters.
For some in academia, this might have been slightly confusing because there's a
special arrangement for some academic site licenses referred to by WRI
salespeople as "home use".  This is *not* the same as Home Edition...it's merely
a kind of licensing arrangement.

* Yes, that's right.  8.0.1 Home Edition is now contains 64-bit versions of
Mathematica.  Although I didn't realize that I was apparently the first to say
it publicly, so when somebody else from WRI tells you, act surprised. :)

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.

[Still allegedly on vacation, so probably still sticking my foot in my mouth...]